Milongas in La Tangueria
Oliver and Marisa started organising milongas in 1996. At first there were the memorable Saturday evenings in La Roseraie, then we added the Sunday afternoon balls in CC Ons Huis and GC De Markten.
Since 1996, our own venue La Tangueria hosts most of our tango events. Traditionally, our thé dansants on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month from 17h till 22h, are among Brussels best and most visited tango happenings.
We regularly propose a tango ball also on a Saturday evening from 20h till 01h. Our milongas are often preceded by a workshop or coaching session. You will find the dates of milongas in La Tangueria on our Facebook page or the Agenda.
A place to dance, socialise, try shoes…
A milonga in La Tangueria generally reunites about 100 till 150 tangueros of all levels and horizons, and it has the reputation of being the event where the best tangueros and tangueras of Belgium meet to dance together. Nevertheless, La Tangueria also warmly welcomes less experienced and beginning dancers, as well as visitors and observers. The milongas are open to all, only the workshops and coaching sessions before require previous reservation.
The milongas in La Tangueria are also a perfect opportunity, while you take a drink in our cosy club space, to choose, try and buy new shoes or clothes from our permanent collection of Bandolera tango shoes and Rossa Spina tango clothes.
Rules and codes
The milongas in La Tangueria are relaxed and open-minded. We don’t impose dress codes, all dancers (ladies also) may invite by mirada and cabeceo, as well as verbally.
Female leaders and male followers are encouraged. To gain space, we incite the close embrace, but a more open style is also practiced. Everybody is welcome. There is only one, very simple rule: please respect the other dancers. 😉
For more information on the worldwide habits and codigos of the milongas, visit our section about tango facts.
Musical style and DJs
Our house DJ is Oliver Koch, but we regularly invite other renown Tango Disc Jockeys from Belgium and abroad as well. The music is played in tandas and cortinas, mainly traditional, but not exclusively. Every year, we propose one milonga with music played from original vinyls by Belgian’s most international DJ, Jens Ingo Brodesser.
- Regular: 7,50€ pp (except for special editions with live music or exhibitions).
- Students under 26 years of age, participants of the workshop before the milonga: 3€ pp.
- Visitors and observers (non-dancers): 3€ pp.
- Tangueria card (6 milongas, including a free card for the bar with value of 6€): 42€ pp.
- NEW: Tangueria card for students of weekly classes in La Tangueria: 35€ pp.
To avoid the hassle with coins, we propose bar cards of 9 cases with ‘shoes’ for 6€. To pay a drink separately in cash is a little more expensive.
- Water, coffee, tea: 2 shoes (or 1,35€ cash)
- Beer, soft drinks, fruit juices, apple cake: 3 shoes (or 2€ cash)
- Wine, special beers, toast: 4 shoes (or 2,70€ cash)
- Glass of cava, empanada: 5 shoes (or 3,50€ cash)
Summer milongas in the Grand Hotel Majestic Pallanza
Every year, the last week of July and the first week of August, about 100 tango dancers from all over the world reunite for our tango holidays in the Grand Hotel Majestic Pallanza (Lago Maggiore, Northern Italy).
Each week, there is at least one big open milonga with exhibitions of the teachers and tango shoes and clothes sales. It is also possible, for a limited number of tangueros who are not staying in the hotel, to join the other milongas. For all milongas in Pallanza the reservation is always compulsory for non hotel guests by calling or sending an sms at the latest at 15h the same day to: +39 333 48 75 822 (Marisa).
- Unless stated otherwise, all milongas take place in La Tangueria.
- Out of respect for our neighbors, please respect the peace and order in the courtyard. Cars, motorcycles and scooters are not allowed to enter the yard.
- The entry fee, bar cards, shoes and clothes can only be paid cash. We don’t accept cheques, credit or bank cards.
- For more details about all milongas in Belgium, check www.milonga.be.