Milongas in La Tangueria
Oliver and Marisa started organising milongas in 1996. At first there were the memorable Saturday evenings in La Roseraie, then we added the Sunday afternoon balls in CC Ons Huis and GC De Markten.
Since 1996, our own venue La Tangueria hosts most of our tango events. Traditionally, our thé dansants on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month from 17h till 22h, are among Brussels best and most visited tango happenings.
Généralement le choix musical aux milongas de La Tangueria est plutôt traditionnel, mais occasionellement nous proposons aussi une une milonga où la musique est prioritairement – voir totalement – alternative.
Generally the musical choice at the milongas in La Tangueria is rather traditional, but occasionally we also propose a neolonga, a milonga where the music is primarily – or even totally – alternative.
A milonga in La Tangueria generally reunites about 100 till 150 tangueros of all levels and horizons, and it has the reputation of being the event where the best tangueros and tangueras of Belgium meet to dance together. Nevertheless, La Tangueria also warmly welcomes less experienced and beginning dancers, as well as visitors and observers. The milongas are open to all, only the workshops and coaching sessions before require previous reservation.
Practilongas in La Tangueria
For students and close friends of La Tangueria, about one Saturday night per month from 20h to midnight, we offer a more intimate and informal practilonga. This concept halfway between a practica and a milonga, aims to gather the friends of La Tangueria and make them dance, practice, analyze, discuss, change partners and roles, share a drink, order a pizza… with their tango friends.
At the practilongas we stimulate the dancers to take risks by inviting strangers and dancers of other levels. We encourage women to ask men and to try to lead, and men to try the experience to follow and to accept the invitations of ladies and other men.
Marisa & Oliver and the other teachers of La Tangueria are there to dance with the students, answer questions, help, discuss, talk about music, relationships, the social aspect of tango …
During practicilongas we often offer free animation for everyone, like an initiation to the chacarera or the rock ‘n roll, a demonstration, etc.
Our balls are open to everybody, only the workshops and coachings preceding require previous reservation.
A place to dance, socialise, try shoes….
The milongas in La Tangueria are also a perfect opportunity, while you take a drink in our cosy club space, to choose, try and buy new shoes or clothes from our permanent collection of Tangolera shoes and Rossa Spina tango clothes.
Rules and codes
The balls in La Tangueria are relaxed and open-minded. We don’t impose dress codes, all dancers (ladies also) may invite by mirada and cabeceo, as well as verbally.
Female leaders and male followers are encouraged. To gain space, we incite the close embrace, but a more open style is also practiced. Everybody is welcome. There is only one, very simple rule: please respect the other dancers. 😉
For more information on the worldwide habits and codigos of the milongas, visit our section about tango facts.
Musical style and DJs
Our house DJ is Oliver Koch, but we regularly invite other renown Tango Disc Jockeys from Belgium and abroad as well. The music is played in tandas and cortinas, mainly traditional, but not exclusively. Every year, we propose one milonga with music played from original vinyls by Belgian’s most international DJ, Jens Ingo Brodesser.
- Regular: 7,50€ pp (except for special editions with live music or exhibitions).
- Students under 26 years, participants of the workshop before the milonga: 3€ pp.
- Regular fee for practilongas: 5,00€ pp (special editions with live music or exhibitions can be a bit more expensive).
- Visitors and observers (non-dancers): 3€ pp.
- Tangueria card (6 milongas, including a free card for the bar with value of 6€): 45€ pp.
- NEW: Tangueria card for students of weekly classes in La Tangueria: 35€ pp.
To avoid the hassle with coins, we propose bar cards of 9 cases with ‘shoes’ for 6€. To pay a drink separately in cash is a little more expensive.
- Water, coffee, tea: 2 shoes (or 1,35€ cash)
- Beer, soft drinks, fruit juices, apple cake: 3 shoes (or 2€ cash)
- Wine, special beers, toast: 4 shoes (or 2,70€ cash)
- Glass of cava, empanada: 5 shoes (or 3,50€ cash)
- Glass of cava, empanada: 5 shoes (or 3,50€ cash)
Milongas in the tango holidays in hotels
During our several tango holidays in Italy, we propose open milongas in the hotel. Each week, there is at least one big open milonga with exhibitions of the teachers and tango shoes and clothes sales.
It is also possible, for a limited number of tangueros who are not staying in the hotel, to join the other milongas. For all milongas the reservation is always compulsory for non hotel guests by calling or sending an sms at the latest at 15h the same day to: +39 333 48 75 822 (Marisa).
- Unless stated otherwise, all milongas, practilongas, etc. take place in La Tangueria.
- Out of respect for our neighbors, please respect the peace and order in the courtyard. Cars, motorcycles and scooters are not allowed to enter the yard.
- The entry fee, bar cards, shoes and clothes can only be paid cash. We don’t accept cheques, credit or bank cards.
- For more details about all milongas in Belgium, check www.milonga.be.