In the summer of 2020, we will propose two weeks of tango holidays for the 14th consecutive year in the beautiful cradle of the Lake Maggiore. Surrounded by the Alps, while in the rest of southern Europe the temperature can easily reach 34°C, here you can enjoy the pleasant microclimate (± 26°C) and the stunning beauty of the Northern Italian lakes.
Our very international groups are welcomed in the charming Lido Palace Hotel in Baveno.
Come and enjoy the sun, nature, fresh water, breathtaking views, delicious Italian food, top-quality tango classes, cozy milongas on a dream of a parquet floor… all at reasonable prices in an authentic Art Deco hotel.
Week1: 25/07 > Saturday 01/08/20
- Teachers: Marisa van Andel & Oliver Koch (B) and Selva Mastroti & Marcelo Ramer (I).
- Additional group: from 26/07 > 02/08
Week 2: Sunday 02/08 > Sunday 09/08/20
- Teachers: Marisa van Andel & Oliver Koch (B) and Patricia Hilliges & Matteo Panero (I).
- Additional neo-beginners/intermediate group (less then 2 years tango experience): from 01/08 > 08/08 with teachers from La Tangueria (B).
At the foot of the Italian Alps, the Lake Maggiore is a paradise for a dream vacation. Its surface of 212 km² offers enchanting and romantic landscapes to discover without delay.
One of the pearls of the lake is the characteristic small town of Baveno (Vb, Piedmont), which is famous for its precious pink granite used in several buildings around the world: the Arc de la Paix and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele of Milan, the columns from the Paris Opera House, Saint Charles Church in Vienna, Christopher Columbus Monument in New York and Bangkok’s Royal Palace…
The city of Milan (fashion capital) is located 80 km south, Brussels 870 km north. Baveno is easily accessible by car, train (Stresa) and plane. The nearest airport is Milano Malpensa (45 km).
In 2020 we will be back in the majestuous and historic Lido Palace Hotel**** in Baveno (Verbania, Piedmont). The tango travelers who have been following us for some time have kept a wonderful memory of our six successful editions from 2008 to 2013 and also in 2019 in this characteristic hotel with breathtaking views of the lake and the picturesque Borromeo islands. Also Queen Victoria, Sir Winston Churchill and Ray Charles were very pleased with their stay at this hotel.
For the classes and the milongas, the hotel proposes 2 bright, spacious rooms with terraces and lake views. The ceremonial hall – where most of the workshops and all the milongas take place – has a superb wooden floor. All rooms are equipped with a private bath or shower, air conditioning, satellite TV, WiFi and more than half of the rooms offer a stunning view of the lake.
The hotel is surrounded by a large colorful park with statues, flowers and exotic palms. It offers a swimming pool with sun loungers, umbrellas and towels, a tennis court, a ping pong table, a pool table and a gym. It also features a private beach on the lake right in front of the hotel and a free parking behind the hotel.
The following prices are per person, based on 2 persons per room (except for the single rooms).
|Standard room (3*) 3rd or 4th floor on the back side||785€ pp|
|Superior room (4*) 1st or 2nd floor on the back side||890€ pp|
|Extra charge front view on the lake||10€ pp/day|
|Extra charge view on the lake and balcony (front side only)||20€ pp/day|
|Extra charge single supplement (in a double room)||35€ pp/day|
|Child between 6 and 12 years in the room with 2 adults||50% of adult price|
|Child up to 5 years or pet in the room with 2 adults||free|
NB: The number of rooms overlooking the lake and with balcony are limited. These are allocated at the time of the reservation.
The tourist tax of €1.50 per day is not included in the above prices.
Deposit to be paid within 4 weeks after booking to the organisation: 400€ pp.
Deposit to be paid to the Hotel by bank transfer within 4 weeks after booking: 50% of the total price.
> Remaining to pay at the hotel by bank transfer at the latest 1 month before start of the holiday.
> Exceptional Early Booking/Payment discount upon payment of the hotel bill before 15/12/2019 -10% pp. Contact Marisa for the details.
– until 14 days after reservation: 25€ pp
– from 15 till 60 days after reservation: 50€ pp
– as of 2 months after reservation until June 15th: 75€ pp
– after June 15th: 50% of the reserved package
– after start of the holiday: the total amount is due, unless a last minute replacement can still be found.
Included in the price are:
- The tango workshops (a total of 15 hours) with two couples of professional tango teachers at two levels.
- Six evening milongas, and a special ball with exhibitions and sales of tango clothes and shoes. One evening there will be an open air dinner-milonga in a nearby venue (max. 25€ pp.)
- Hotel in half board for 7 nights in a double room with private bathroom (bath/shower) and toilet, hair dryer, air conditioning, TV, telephone, WIFI, mini bar, safe. The participants have free access to the private beach, the swimming pool, the garden chairs, the fitness centre, the dancing rooms.
- Breakfast (until 10h00) and buffet supper with typical Italian menu. For 6 evenings in the magnificent dining room with lake view reserved for the tango group, you will enjoy a varied buffet (vegetarian and not) with: first course, main course, side dishes, dessert. 1/4 L mineral water and 1/4 L wine per person are included in the price. One evening the hotel will not serve dinner nor host a milonga. That evening we wil propose an open-air dinner-milonga with typical poplular localf food and a milonga in the open air, in a venue nearby the hotel.. This outing is not included in the package, but should not exceed 25€ per person.
- Not included: trip/shuttle to the hotel (on request), lunches, extras (drinks, snacks…), dinner-milonga in the open air (price: max. 25€ pp), local tourist tax to pay at the moment of departure (1,50€ pp per day).
The organisers and permanent teachers are Marisa & Oliver from Brussels (both weeks). The guest teachers are in the first week Selva & Marcelo from Torino and the second week Patricia & Matteo from Firenze.
Marisa van Andel & Oliver Koch – Brussels/B, Al compás del corazón/La Tangueria
Saturday 25 July > Saturday 1 August & Sunday 2 August > Sunday 9 August 2020.
After a career in the contemporary dance company Rosas, Marisa & Oliver have been working as a tango couple since 1996, giving workshops and exhibitions all over Europe as well as in the USA and Buenos Aires.They danced in different tango shows in The Netherlands and Belgium and they collaborated with outstanding artists, such as Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Jan Fabre, Hubert Damen, Dimitri Leue, Frank Groothof…
They have trained and inspired many of today’s professional tango teachers and dancers in Belgium and abroad. They were part of several international tango festivals and collaborate since 2005 with the Brussels Tango Festival as well as with the Brussels Tango Marathon. They also have vast experience in teaching in and organising tango holidays in Italy, France, Spain and Austria. Their tango school Al compás del corazón and their milonga in La Tangueria have become a reference for tango in Belgium and abroad.
Selva Mastroti & Marcelo Ramer – Torino/I, Proyecto Gricel
Saturday 25 July > Saturday 1 August 2020.
Thanks to many recommendations from pupils and colleagues, for the first time in 2016 we invited Marcelo & Selva as teachers for our tango holidays at Lake Maggiore.
They were born in Argentina, and learned the tango in adolescence, where they were trained in Buenos Aires with many of the great masters. They have been a couple for more than 17 years, and have worked worldwide for schools and festivals.
Marcelo & Selva currently live in Turin. Their lessons contained a lot of passion, they passed on their knowledge with spontaneity and simplicity. They start from the deepest roots of the tango, view all its facets, give the basis of technical and complex movements and never see the musicality and harmony within the couple. Given their success, we invite Selva & Marcelo again in 2020 to participate in our tango holidays.
Patricia Hilliges & Matteo Panero – Firenze/I, Tangoclub & Firenze Tango Festival
Sunday 2 August > Sunday 9 August 2020.
We have met this italo-German couple back in the nineties, at the beginning of our respective careers in the tango scene. In addition to our linguistic similarities, we have many more affinities with them and our friendship and esteem has grown with time.
Pat and Mat enrich their elegant tango de salón style with innovative elements, full of fantasy and musicality. They share the tango culture in an atmosphere of friendship and warmth, created through their good mood, their sense of humour, and their charisma.
They worked in several important international Tango Festivals in Italy and abroad and choreographed and danced several shows. Since 1999 ,Patricia & Matteo lead the “Tangoclub Firenze” and since 2002 they organize the International Firenze Tango Festival. They also have a sound experience teaching in tango holidays all over Europe.
|For even more dance fun at the milongas, and to fill up the hotel with tango dancers, we will invite each week another tango group to join the holidays. One week there will be an extra beginners group from our own school La Tangueria in Brussels, and the other week another school will join us (tbc).|
The lessons of Marisa & Oliver and the guest teachers are aimed at experienced tango dancers. A minimum 2 years of tango (lessons and practice) are required. The organizers will assess the level of the participants and divide them into 2 groups according to the level. The groups will often have lessons at the same time, so it is not possible to change groups or participate in multiple levels.
Each group will have a total of 10 workshops of 90 minutes (15 hours in total, equally taught by the 2 teaching couples: Marisa & Oliver and the guest teaching couple.
There will be a variety of themes in the classes: tango de salón, tango fantasia, modern tango, vals and milonga. The classes will focus on technique, as well as on detailed refinements regarding posture, axis & balance, embrace, foot work, adornos, musicality, leading and following. Students will learn new movements, figures and sequences, but the main goal is to create a more harmonious, comfortable and enjoyable dance.
For Tango dancers with less than 2 years of tango experience there will be a special group in the second week. These participants will have 10 workshops of 90 minutes taught by La Tangueria teachers.
The tango workshops are taught in 2 spacious dancing rooms, with terrace and and lake view. The main room on the ground floor has a beautiful parquet floor and the class room on level -1 has a decent tile floor. Generally, the classes take place after breakfast and before dinner, and occasionally in the afternoon. Each group will have one full day without classes, to have time to explore the region.
A detailed programme of the classes will be sent to the participants about one month before the start of the holidays. The classes will be taught in English. The teachers also speak French, Dutch, German, Spanish and Italian…
Normally the lessons are reserved for the participants of the tango holiday. If, at the moment the holiday starts, there is room in certain groups, lessons can also be taken à la carte.
Six evenings per week, there will be a milonga for all the participants together, in the beautiful dancing hall with sprung floor, big terrace and lake view. A special milonga will be organised during the week with a performance by the guest teachers. Local tangueros are also invited to this milonga.
There will be one special open air dinner-milonga organised in a nearby venue.
Some milongas are also open for outsiders of the tango holidays (after paying entry fee). Previous reservation is compulsory for non hotel guests.
To make a reservation, call or Whatsapp the following number at the latest at 15h the day you would like to attend the milonga:
+39 333 48 75 822 or +32 479 22 86 98 (Marisa).
A stand of Tangolera tango shoes and Rossa Spina tango clothes is present at the hotel during the holidays.
Registrations for the classes can only be done in couples. We try to help singles to find a partner by bringing them into contact with each other. Once registered as a dance couple, however, it is no longer possible to switch partners. So please verify that the relationship between the two dancers is good enough, before registering as a dance couple.
Those who want to find a partner can send an e-mail with age, height, level and languages or place an ad on the facebook group.
- Arrival is foreseen on Saturday 25 July or Sunday 2 August before dinner (19h00). Departure on Saturday 1 or Sunday 9 August after breakfast.
- For tango guests who want to arrive earlier or stay longer and for people who accompany dancers (spouses, children, babysitters …) we have negotiated a more favorable group price. To benefit of the discount price, reservations must be made via Marisa only, also for the non-dancers and the extra days. In exchange for the more favorable group price, a small commission will be charged for the organization. Book your extra days at the time of the reservation to benefit of the best conditions. Extra days are booked in Bed & Breakfast only. Dinner can be ordered and paid à la carte in the hotel.
ATTENTION: the possibilities to extend your stay after the first week or before the second week are limited because the departure day of the first group is the same as the arrival day of the second group.
- Also people who do not want to participate in the classes, but want to participate in the milongas only, can benefit of a discount group price. to stay in the hotel, by booking via Marisa only, subject to availability. Participants who take the full package of hotel + classes + milongas have priority.
Address and itinerary of the Hotel
Lido Palace Hotel Baveno
SS Sempione, 30
I-28831 Baveno (VB)
Phone: +39 0323 92.44.44
Fax: +39 0323 92.47.44
Contact person: Paolo D’Amico
Milano Malpensa – 45 km
Milano Linate – 90 km
Line Cisalpina Milano/Genève – Station Stresa/Baveno
Route by car
From the north (Belgium, the Netherlands, France, etc): Go to the South via the Gotthard Tunnel (CH). Shortly after the exit of the tunnel (+/- 30 minutes), take exit 47 Bellinzona Sud/Locarno. Take the A13 Locarno Tenero, follow the road towards Ascona. Enter Italy, follow Cannobbio, Cannero Rivera, Ghiffa, Intra, Verbania, Baveno. Just past Baveno, on the road to Stresa, the Lido Palace Hotel is on your right hand side.
All hotel reservations have to be made only via Marisa. Do not contact the hotel directly if you wish to benefit of the group prices or participate in the tango activities.
Registrations start exceptionally early this year: on November 5, 2019. To reserve your tango holidays, please send the complete details of both dancers, the chosen dates and the preferred level to Marisa (NL, FR, EN, DE, IT, ES) via firstname.lastname@example.org. be. Phone: +32 479 22 86 98.
NB. Only in July and August you can also reach us by this Italian telephone number is: +39 333 48 75 822.